Prior to beginning work on this assignment, reflect upon your journey here at University of Arizona Global Campus. Think about your entrance into our school, your previous educational and professional experiences, and review how your knowledge and opinions of social and criminal justice have changed over time. Refer back to your own notes, classwork, and feedback from professors to be ready to evaluate your program of study and share your ideas with classmates and your instructor for this class. The focus of the Capstone assignment is to propose a resolution to a contemporary social and criminal justice issue through the application of information from a variety of related fields, which may include sociology, law, psychology, and ethics. A good place to look for topic ideas is in your previous coursework, including coursework uploaded into your portfolio on Folio. Specifically, you may find topic ideas from issues you became aware of in courses such as CRJ301: Juvenile Justice, CRJ303: Corrections, CRJ306: Criminal Law and Procedure, and CRJ308: Psychology of Criminal Behavior. You may find your topic anywhere; however, your undergraduate coursework is an excellent resource to help you generate ideas.
In developing a proposed solution to a modern social and criminal justice issue, you are encouraged to use the Scholarly, Peer-Reviewed, and Other Credible SourcesLinks to an external site. table to identify and devise a workable plan. A good way to approach this assignment is to consider it a detailed and thorough scholarly piece on a single, yet important, social and criminal justice issue. That is, by the end of the paper, you will be an expert on what the current research says about your chosen topic.
In your assignment
- Create a clear thesis statement that identifies your social and criminal justice issue.
- Summarize your chosen social and criminal justice issue in approximately one to two pages.
- Describe what makes this an issue.
- Provide data to show how this issue has made an impact on society.
- Explain which social justice principles need to be addressed and why.
- Detail the cultural and diversity issues present in your chosen social and criminal justice problem.
- Describe how addressing your chosen issue contributes to the goal of a more just society.
- Analyze the empirical research on your chosen topic.
- You may use your Week 1 Annotated Bibliography to complete this section of the paper. Please ensure that the instructor feedback is incorporated within this section. Incorporating peer feedback is optional.
- Propose a possible resolution to your chosen social and criminal justice issue.
- Evaluate which branches of the criminal justice system are impacted/involved and how they either help or hinder the issue.
- Analyze how the criminal and social justice theories (in relation to the United States Constitution) and landmark U.S. Supreme Court decisions impact your chosen issue and support your resolution.
- Examine how the judiciary, corrections, and law enforcement systems address social equality, solidarity, human rights, and overall fairness for all and how these essential concepts impact your issue and resolution.
- Evaluate how poverty, racism, religion and other sociocultural variables may apply to contemporary social and criminal justice by drawing information among the fields of, but not limited to, criminology, law, philosophy, psychology, science, and sociology.
The Solution Proposal Capstone assignment
- Must be 15 double-spaced pages in length (not including title and references pages and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Writing Center’s APA StyleLinks to an external site.
- Must include a separate title page with the following:
- Title of assignment
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Name of the University
- Date submitted
For further assistance with the formatting and the title page, refer to APA Formatting for Word 2013Links to an external site..
- Must utilize academic voice. See the Academic VoiceLinks to an external site. resource for additional guidance.
- Must include an introduction and conclusion paragraph. Your introduction paragraph needs to end with a clear thesis statement that indicates the purpose of your assignment
- Must use at least 10 scholarly and/or credible sources, at least four of which must be found in the Library, in addition to the course text. You may consider referencing documentaries, contemporary news reports, multimedia, and interviews with professionals in the field. Cite your sources within the text of your assignment and on the reference page.
- Must document any information used from sources in APA style as outlined in the Writing Center’s Citing Within Your PaperLinks to an external site.
- Must include a separate references page that is formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Writing Center. See the Formatting Your References ListLinks to an external site. resource in the Writing Center for specifications.
Rough Draft Feedback:
When I grade the rough draft, I always compare the outline rubrics and feedback looking to see areas in need of development being addressed. You did that well and I could see information being included such as not one, but two Supreme Court cases. I do want to encourage you to add your theories there to help maximize that rubric.
I also want to focus on the proposed resolution where we need to be very specific with the resolution and steps needed to implement. You mentioned, for example, the need for implicit bias training, sentencing guidelines and alternative programs being offered. The questions becomes, how is this different than what we see in place today? I want to see you include specifics here. Examples might include what sentencing guidelines are you proposing to address the issue that are not in place today? What type of bias training are you proposing and would it be directly related to let’s say Federal funding for failure to comply? Who would be required to teach, take the class and track the process of violation of requirement? These are just examples to help you with the solution portion of the assignment
Please let me know if you have questions.