history movie essay
History Through Film Extra Credit Assignment
Directions: You may watch a historical film and review it for up to 60 extra credit points if you would like! The movie you choose must be relevant to the time period we are studying. After viewing the movie, complete the Film Critique questionnaire for extra credit points.
- The questionnaire must be completed in its entirety to receive any credit.
- Partial credit will not be awarded to incomplete questionnaires.
- The film you select must be approved by the professor or taken from the following list.
*The following films are pre-approved for viewing:
- The New World
- Christopher Columbus; The Discovery
- 1492 – Conquest of Paradise
- The Plymouth Adventure
- April Morning
- The Crucible (1996 version)
- The Last of the Mohicans *Highly recommended!
- The Madness of King George
- 1776 (the musical)
- Jeremiah Johnson
- A Man Called Horse
- The Alamo
- Gone to Texas
- Glory *Highly recommended!
- Gangs of New York *Highly recommended!
- Class of 61
- Son of the Morning Star
INSTRUCTIONS: Write your critique following these guidelines and be certain to included everything being asked.
- Name the movie title, director and main actors in the movie.
- Summarize in the plot of the movie
- Evaluate the historical accuracy of the film:
- What is the film’s bias?
- What does it reflect about history that is (to your knowledge) accurate?
- Where may have the filmmakers stretched the story?
- Review the movie:
- What did you like about the film?
- What didn’t you like, historical accuracy, acting, directing, etc.?
- What was your overall opinion of the film? Provide at least three reasons for that support your opinion.
- How does the movie tie into the history we’ve learned in this course?
- What can other students learn about the era in question from watching this movie?
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!