educational case study on student with special needs
Read the case study to inform the assignment.
Case Study: Maria
It is the beginning of the second semester, and Maria is having a great deal of difficulty in her algebra class. She has an understanding of the basic concepts of algebra, but has not mastered the skills needed to move to the higher-level concepts her class is now working on. Currently, her math performance level is two years below grade level and her reading performance level is one year below grade level. Maria’s teacher has spoken with her parents about the possible need for additional support, and her parents have agreed to help at home.
They have identified the following goals for Maria:
- Simplify addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division equations (e.g., (2x + 6) (4x + 7) = 6x + 13).
- Solve expressions with variables (e.g., 3x = -24).
- Write and solve the algebra equation in a real-life word problem.
Part One: Strategies
Research instructional strategies applicable to meeting Maria’s needs established through her identified goals.
Instructional strategies should include:
- Explicitly teaching vocabulary
- Concrete-representational-abstract method
- Graphic organizers
- Mnemonic devices
- The use of assistive technology
In 250-500 words, summarize the recommended instructional strategies, rationalizing the appropriateness to Maria’s goals, appropriateness in motivating Maria to meet her goals, and specific tips for implementation.
Part Two: Unit Plan
Design a comprehensive unit plan based on the goals identified for Maria. Complete three lesson plans, using applicable sections of the COE Lesson Plan Template. COE Lesson Plan Template is downloaded
Your unit plan must include:
- Sequencing of academic goals and learning progressions.
- Instructional strategies identified in Part One.
- Appropriate augmentative and alternative communication systems and assistive technology.
- Integration of both formative and summative assessment.
- Integration of an appropriate ELA writing standard related to Maria’s third identified goal.
Part Three: Home Connection
In 250-300 words, summarize and explain how you plan to involve Maria’s parents in meeting her goals. Include a specific at-home activity to help in her continued success.
Prepare this assignment according to the guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, an abstract is not required.
This assignment uses a rubric. Review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion. Rubric is downloaded.
Information that might help in answering the assignment:
Read “Tips for Administrators, Teachers, and Families: How to Share Data Effectively,” by the Harvard Family Research Project, located on the Harvard University website.
Read pages 7-21 of “Algebra (Part 1): Applying Learning Strategies to Beginning Algebra,” available on The IRIS Center website.
Read pages 7-17 of “Algebra (Part 2): Applying Learning Strategies to Intermediate Algebra,” available on The IRIS Center website.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!